It seems that Google Play store app stopped working on some Android phones. I did some research and it seems that only some regions/providers are not working, so I found quick fix for rooted phones, and this is quick fix so I will go straight to the point.
You will need to install one app to your phone, and you will need root permission for this fix to work. Its called MarketEnabler and here are links to it:
(there is solution with non rooted devices in UPDATE II and solution for fixing your Google play permanently on UPDATE III below)
App link on Google Play Web: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.racic.android.marketenabler&hl=en
Or download it directly to phone from project site: http://code.google.com/p/market-enabler/downloads/list
This app basically fools your Android phone and sets different provider/area that you are using.
When you run the app go to Setting list tab and chose one of providers, you will need to press and hold on your chosen provider/area! And chose “fake this provider now” option. (your play app needs to be shutdown before this step for this to work)
Now run the Play and enjoy.
If you experience any problems and you have rooted phone, please comment here. Also please share if this worked on your phone!
UPDATE: Someone reported that by using US VPN was able to fix issue on not-rooted device. I will research that option! [CONFIRMED]
UPDATE II: Here is solution for devices that are not rooted! Using VPN connections based in USA and some other countries, is fixing Google Play server error without need to root your device!!!
Here is how to set it up (I wrote this also as step by step guide with pictures)
- Go to Settings > Wireless and Network > VPN Settings > Add VPN > Add PPTP VPN
- Select VPN Name and enter “Test”
- Select Set VPN Server and enter a server hostname: (Depends on VPN provider here is a post about ones that I recommend)
- Make sure Enable Encryption is checked
- Open the menu and choose Save
How to Connect to your VPN
- Go to Settings > Wireless and Network > VPN Settings >
- Select the VPN configuration from the list
- Enter your username and password (Yes, you will need to register, its Virtual Private Network provider, and they make money for its services)
- Select Remember username
- Select Connect
After you connect you will have a key icon in your status bar. So what are you waiting go and test it!
I recommend Hide My Ass VPN service its have more than 30k IP addresses to hide behind and unlimited data and speed, and its not pricy. Here is post about my experience with VPN providers: Best VPN service providers for Android
PS. fix can work with some free VPN but most of them have a lot of issues to be usable, I recommend to all of you to try professional VPN and to protect your privacy and data (bunch of people got hacked for using non secured wifi connection… but that is long story that I will tell other time) So find best VPN solution for you and use it.
UPDATE III: How to permanently fix your Google Play app thanks to Allan
Here are steps for permanently fixing your Google Play app server error:
- Use Market Enabler or VPN fix depending do you or not have rooted device
- Clear Data of Google Play Store/Market…
- Open up Google Play Store/Market…
- Download/Update of at least one application…
- Restart/Reboot device…
- VIOLA… google play store still working…
There are a lot of people who confirmed this, so feel free to try, and let us know how it works.
- Best VPN service providers for Android (viewoneworld.wordpress.com)